Print this Page

About Us

The community of Glen Allen derives its name from the Allen family who lived in the area. The old Glen Allen school began in 1886 as a single classroom in the home of Miss Lizzie Holladay. The Glen Allen School on Old Washington Highway was completed in October of 1911 as a two-story building with fourteen classrooms, grades one through seven. Between 1911 and 1941 the school served at varying times, both elementary and high school students. In 1926, the tenth and eleventh grades were added, and the school became accredited. Between 1942 and 1951 Glen Allen was strictly a senior high school, but changed in 1951 to serve only the elementary grades until its closing in 1978. The new Glen Allen Elementary School located on Mill Road opened in 1979 and is located in the Brookland District.

During the last 40 years at this site, Glen Allen has seen four more expansion projects to the original building.  There have been five principals to lead our Cubs during the time at this site. Mr. William Lyons, Dr. Robert Siegel, Dr. Yvonne Faucet, Mrs. Angela Allen, and currently Mrs. Melissa Halquist-Pruden. We can not wait to see what the next 40 years brings!!!

Permanent link to this article: https://glenallenes.henricoschools.us/about-us/